Sunday, January 13, 2008

Friday rides

I was sitting in my new white Volvo sedan (It's a new car my dad just bought me last week) waiting for him to appear from the slightly opened back gate to the house. He is almost always irritable on Fridays, no one really knows why. He quickly got in and sat in the front passenger seat without uttering a single word. I thought I would engage my dad in random small talk to break the deafening silence. Life is such an enigma. There are many things that i constantly ponder about...but this time, for some reason, my question was not premeditated. It was perhaps a brain-fart of some sort.

"Dad, can a man turn into a woman or vice versa?" I asked.
He paused for a moment, then looked at me with a sick expression on his face and said "You're sick!"
I have no idea why he would get disgusted by such a question. I mean, it's not like I was telling him I wanted to turn into a woman... oh dear god!

I decided to rebound and prove to him my manliness, so I took some time to strategise and make sure that the next thing I utter will be the absolute pinnacle of all that is masculine and virile. I cleared my throat and calmly avowed, "That woman is hot!" after nodding at the direction of the closest woman walking on the pavements that I could see whilst driving my Volvo sedan. We could only see her back from where we were. She was wearing an all black long dress with manly looking beige boots. I looked at my dad as we went past her, and saw the smile forming on his face, then suddenly, as if he was somehow slapped in the face, that smile morphed into a frown that complimented the now all too familiar disappointment face. I was confused, I almost opened my mouth to cry out for an explanation but stopped myself just in time after catching a glance at that "hot woman" in the rear-view mirror. For starters, the black dress was not a dress at all but a black rain coat. And the manly looking boots were manly for a reason... for you see, the "hot woman" was in fact, my mom. My dad was speechless and so was I. Awkward silence ensued.


No comments: