Saturday, January 19, 2008

My day out!

My best friend, Norman, called me up yesterday and asked me if I had lunch yet. I hesitated for a few seconds then reluctantly replied and said "not really...” He then ordered me not to eat and wait for 2 freaking hours to eat with him in a restaurant. I wouldn't have even considered following his order if it wasn't for his mention of Nando's (my favourite restaurant ever!). We agreed to meet in the Cherry Creek Mall in about 2 hours. I was so excited about the notion of tasting that delicious juicy chicken that Nando's is so famous for (mmmm) that I almost stepped on my beloved little baby sister who just learned how to speak a few months ago.

Damn! I am late. Now I am going to get it from Norman. I know him; he will not let this go, I know he won't. I am going 120MpH in my white Volvo sedan on the highway (I would go 130MpH but my dad does not let me... He says, if I get the best mark in university over all other students he will buy me a car that easily goes over 120MpH and will let me drive at 135MpH even!) Whizzing by cars until this Mercedes CLK just zoomed right next to my car. I was demoralised completely. I slowed down. My head fell when it was held up high just mere seconds ago. And it wasn't because the CLK was much faster than my Volvo. But because a chick was driving it... a woman for god's sake!

My new cell phone rang. It was Norman unsurprisingly irritated that I am still not in Cherry Creek. I told him I was on my way but he asked why I was late. I felt ashamed to say that it was because a chick beat me to the traffic lights. So I just told him I will be there in 5 min hoping that by saying that he would drop the question and it worked! I felt proud to have been able to pull off something like that, especially with Norman. I finally arrived at Cherry Creek's parking space. It took me quite a while to find a parking space but I finally was able to find one far away from the entrance. I had to walk for 5 minutes to reach the entrance. I got on the escalator stairs then on to the next ones till I reached Nando’s on the third floor. Looked around, and there he was! I can see Norman from across the gap which gave visitors a top down view of the lower levels. His small figure became bigger and bigger as he came closer. First words he uttered to me were "Why were you late?"

No comments: